- This article is filed under:
- » View All
Cart-Mounted Imaging System
by EmbedTek - EmbedTek LLC Posted 06/11/2019
Recently EmbedTek put its creative powers to work to help a medical device manufacturer launch a breakthrough microsurgery appliance. This device performed a variety of functions, namely a high-performance image capture system for cataract surgery.
EmbedTek needed to address five key problem areas:
- Speed up manufacturing to reach the market ahead of competition. The manufacturer couldn’t simultaneously design and build the optical hardware, internal software and intricate computing system.
- Work out the thermal output component, which was at odds with acoustic standards for this type of medical device.
- Ensure that all components of the device would have an extended product life cycle.
- Address size components of the various components. The device needed to fit on a portable cart to mobilize within a medical setting.
- Cost control was at the forefront of the manufacturer’s concerns. They needed to produce a quality product without skyrocketing production costs. This would make it too expensive for the market.
To launch a new product line ahead of competition, EmbedTek divvied up the workload with the customer. With this approach we could each bring laser focus to our designated components. The manufacturer focused its efforts on core technologies: optical hardware and software development. Simultaneously, EmbedTek built the intricate computing system. This computing system established touch points to assure program coordination.
Thermal and Acoustic Management
The computer system needed to address high thermal output from video cards. Acoustic standards set by the industry constrained these efforts. The EmbedTek team used CAD software and thermal imaging tools to test several configurations.
Extended Product Lifecycle
Business models for the image capture system indicated that there would be marketplace opportunity for five years. The manufacturer was concerned that the device’s components (especially it’s short life video cards) would have life cycles not aligned to the rest of the system. EmbedTek saved the day by fine-tuning each component to thrive for the entire lifecycle.
The imaging device fit on a cart that could mobilize as needed. The manufacturer’s initial cart design resulted in unsatisfactory dimensions and poor aesthetics. EmbedTek designed a custom chassis around high-performance video cards. This design fit the cart opening and visually complemented the rest of the product family.
EmbedTek team members put their heads together to create a three-pronged approach to cost control. First, they provided experienced design and validation at a cost comparable to in-house development. Second, they provided standard manufacturing capacity with no capital spending from the manufacturer. And third, EmbedTek helped to reduce the cost of purchasing components and life cycle management.
With EmbedTek’s vital intervention, the medical device manufacturer was able to produce in a timely, affordable and efficient manner. The manufacturer’s breakthrough microsurgery appliance met with great success in the market. It filled a need in cataract operating suites and boosted the future potential success of the manufacturer.