Camera Link HS -
The Machine Vision Protocol Moving Forward
Camera Link HS is designed to specifically meet the needs of vision and imaging applications. Its low latency, low jitter, real-time signals between a camera and a frame grabber carry image data and configuration data. The interface takes the key strengths of Camera Link and adds new features and functions to meet customer's demands today and tomorrow. The standard provides:
- Scalable Bandwidths from 300 to 16,000 MB/s
- Extremely Reliable Data Delivery
- Copper or Fiber Optic Cables from 15 to 300+ meters in length
- Multi-Vendor Compliant Components Available
- IP Cores Available for Quick, Low-Cost Development
Camera Link HS is designed from a system point of view, ensuring that CMOS sensor technology can be fully exploited, while providing low cost cameras and frame grabbers that meet the ease of use, flexibility and data reliability demanded by customers.
More Features and Benefits of Camera Link HS:
- Shared IP core for quick, low-risk developments.
- Physical layer can be implemented inside FPGA.
- Multi-sourced components adopted from high-volume industries ensure low-cost and long service life.
- Immune to single bit transmission errors.
- Bidirectional triggering - low jitter of 3.2ns, 6.4ns possible with IP core - makes Camera Link HS viable for linescan applications.
- Video protected by CRC and low latency resend enabling the resend buffer to be implemented in the camera FPGA for low cost, small size and reduced power.
- The protocol features enable parallel image processing.
- Video packetization enables regions of interest to be transferred easily and precisely.
- 300MB/s uplink allows quick camera reconfiguration such as updated coefficient sets.
- 16 bidirectional GPIO with latencies of 100 to 300ns (16 more reserved).
- Frame by frame control of camera supported by the trigger message and acquisition byte returned in video header froming a closed loop system.
- Cameras use GenICam™ application programming interface for ease-of-use.
- Frame grabber to camera communications are GenCP for easy software integration.
- Standardized LED for quick system troubleshooting.
Cable Options with Camera Link HS:
- Eight (8) cables maximum
- 300 MB/s F1 fiber optic with 300+ meter distance (SFP connector)
- 1200 MB/s F2 fiber optic with 300+ meter distance (SFP+ connector)
- 2100 MB/s C2 copper cable with 15 meter distance (CX4 connector)
Fiber optic cabling is low cost, light weight and small in size and long distance capable. It is high bandwidth, extreme flex-life rated and immune to electrical noise.